Our family of four boys is now complete. We are currently entering a new phase of life... we just returned to the USA after a full and exciting seven years in Mexico City. We are using this year to rest, renew, and re-envision our next steps. I have a funny feeling, though, that there won't be a whole lot of resting in this busy household of boys. Enjoy an insider view of our daily adventures with plenty of pictures of the most handsome men I have ever met!

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Eating Around the Table

I grew up where we ate meals at the table. Not always, but often and most usually. Sure, we would have the tv on in the background sometimes, and the phone would ring and it would get answered. No, it was not always full of meaningful conversation or void of complaining - but we were together, around the table. Many memories formed. Lots of laughter shared. And always good food :)

Then I became a mother. While living in Mexico. A place where the table has great significance to a family. It is the center of a home. It is where life is shared and experienced. Together.

Now if I was being honest, I would have to say that eating around the table at our current stage of life is almost always far from a peaceful and bonding family experience. In fact, my husband sometimes just looks at me with this pleading look of..."really? can't I just sit in the living room???"

If I had thought of it earlier, I should have taken the time to set up a video camera to record our current "family togetherness around the table". But wait. That would simply delay even further any chance for me to sneak in a bite while we are all "together" so...forget that.

Just imagine an ever going onslaught of "stay in your chair", "please don't bang your fork into my table top", "use your napkin", "stop screaming", "this is not the place to talk bathroom talk", "use your manners", "eat three more bites because you are three", oh and again, "stay in your chair", "ask to be excused" and....and...and...yes, you get the picture! This all amidst one child finishing his first serving and asking for more before the second one's meat is even cut, and the third one proclaiming he asked for the blue cup not the yellow one and the fourth one standing in his high chair because he once again, figured out how to outsmart the belt.

Before I sound too down and out on my kids - I think the 3 older ones are coming along in this department right on track with their developmental ages, and yet, without mentioning any names, there is another one who can't talk yet but still likes to be heard (if you know what I mean!) - which, actually is right on track developmentally too - so the long and the short of it is that no one is to blame except the reality that four boys under the age of seven around a table can, and almost always does, make for a lively event.

But I keep being drawn back to the fact that this craziness is happening anyway, so why not have it be happening around the table! Together.

The habits and norms that we are forming in our family structure right now matter. What we emphasize now will determine what things will look like later (hopefully with a few less spills and a few more conversations)

I want the table to be an important place for our family - a place to share life - and laugh - and eat together - and learn about each others' day. I would like to hope that it might become a special part of my boys' childhood...

But that dream is not always so easy to believe in during the ins and outs of everyday life. Sometimes, in this day and age of busy schedules and drive through menus, let alone enforcing manners and screaming little ones, it can be hard to stick to. It can be frustrating. And discouraging.

But...

I was so pleasantly surprised to come across this book in the library that confirmed that what I was raised with and what I experienced in another culture and what I am trying to do right now has value!



This book reassured me of what I already knew. It was based in research so that simply broadened the validation of my personal experience. I didn't read it cover to cover, but I did show it to Benjy so that he too could see that there is value in my insane requests to sit at the table together.

The hope: my family will be smarter, stronger, healthier, and happier because of this old-fashioned tradition....making the big picture very much worth the training it calls me to be doing today.

So, stay in your seat boys until its finished. This Mommy is sticking to her guns!

7 comments:

  1. A few years ago, TV Land ran a series of adverts with former sitcom stars (think Cosby Show, Full House, etc) stressing the importance of families eating at the table together. Don't worry, you aren't the only voice in the wilderness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your resolve about this and hope to adopt this idea one day. And as always thanks for your honesty. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. It works! Your memories of family time around the table are wonderful! I am 99% certain that reality then looked very much like what you see today. Bet your Mom (like all the rest of us in the Grandparent generation) has a few stories of meals that had more than one incident of........... So hang in there, you are doing a fantastic job! One day your sons will have wonderful memories of shared family time around the family table and their memories will be wonderful because Mom and Dad worked at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! Those are the best times in the day....when all are assembled and the days and activities are discussed. Keep up the tradition.....it is well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We always ate at the table with our girls. For one thing it concentrates the mess. Another, it makes eating anywhere else a huge adventure! Most importantly, however, it anchors your family. Each one's significance is acknowledged, every day, by the people who matter most, all together. We also met at the same table, sans food, for crises or serious discussions. Our daughters have told us, as adults, that the best thing about that was, however terrifying, they knew that they would leave the table with the problem resolved, and our support (however uncomfortable) reaffirmed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet, sweet post! Agrees all around!

    (And I loved Beverley's comment...the last sentence!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Care, I was laughing out loud at your comments of what goes on at your dinner table--they completely are identical to what happens here!

    Most of the time, we do really great, despite the 'boys being boys'....but once in a while, I get SO frustrated. One night, after repeatedly asking the boys to refrain from bodily functions (at all ends) at the table, I had had it--I sent them all to their rooms, and told them that they could return to the table when I was finished eating! Not my best show of patience, but the rest of my dinner certainly was peaceful :). And we haven't had the problem since!

    It can be so exasperating some evenings, but it is SO worth the constant effort! Great post, my friend!

    ReplyDelete