As the hockey season wrapped up, Coach Mike informed the parents of the Stallions' tradition to invite the parents to play against the kids in a fun game. The morning of the game, an email came through with the parents' roster - it was loaded with names - seemed like every kid had a parent to represent them. I know my kid and I know he would have been quite disappointed to have neither of his parents out there. My Canadian blood won me the right and the responsibility to get out there and show some spirit....even though it had literally been YEARS since I had skated.
If you know me, you know I am a pack rat. You see, you never know when you just might need something important from your past (ha!) So - I searched in a box or two and pulled out my high school hockey jersey that I wore to cheer on the Mustangs. Over 15 years later, the old thing finally was worn in a "real" game :)
A few moments before the real game, I had a few moments to warm up with Reece and even Chase. So much fun to skate with my guys...Chase dared me to a race and although he tripped over that darn blue line...he magically came in ahead!
I am SO glad I pushed myself because I had so so so much fun. My face was hurting because I was smiling so much. They set it up that every time your kids' line was on the ice, the parent would match up and go out there. Reece is so intense he would barely acknowledge that we were having fun together...until the moment I broke him down at center ice - we faced off against one another...I trash talked him a little, and I saw a slight chip in his armor and he revealed an ever so slight smile :) But only for a moment, then he put his game face back on! Reece scored a couple of goals and the kids won - of course :)
And for the record: there aren't anymore pictures than this because...I was on the ice. Enough said :)

No comments:
Post a Comment