Our return visit in October was such a great time to reconnect with everyone. We were there for about 9 days and it really felt like we just picked right back up where we had ended. I could sense it was very good for the boys as well, to be back "home". For the first time in their lives, they noticed the graffiti (isn't that interesting?) It felt so good to be back with our house church - singing together, laughing together, worshipping together, sharing, talking, eating! :) Great fellowship. So good to see so many special people. It went much too fast.
Over the past weeks and months we have had several different opportunities to share about our experience in Mexico. Each and every time it is very therapeutic to do so. It helps to draw out memories and feelings from my heart and communicate them in words to other people.
We spent a few days with Dottie Schulz from Missions Resource Network. She came here to Louisville and listened. And affirmed. And advised. And understood. And listened some more. It was very healing and helpful in our processing and transition.
Overall, we are doing well. We are slowly settling, and yet continue to miss what had grown to be "normal" for us. We have had some difficult days, and yet lots of good days too. The most difficult times have seemed to happen with family milestones (birthdays) or holidays...but then there are also a million other little moments that just seem different in this context of "away from Mexico"
Through all of this, I realize that when you live and love, there are consequences. It hurts to be separated from what you have grown to love and care deeply about. But I am thankful that we lived and that we loved. I am thankful in ways that I don't even yet understand - because our experience in Mexico has become so intermingled into who we are today that I am not sure we can assign specifics to what those are. I do know that our friends, neighbors, brothers and sisters, teachers, classmates, teammates - have been friends to me, to my husband, and to my boys. They will forever be in my heart for how they have loved and changed us.
As the calendar days pass on and time moves forward, we continue to hold that place, those people, that experience very highly. We continue to wait and watch as God slowly unfolds His plan before us. Many things are uncertain about which path we will walk down, but I am certain today, that, regardless of which one we choose, we were blessed to live and love in that place and at that time. There will never be another set of circumstances exactly like those, and it is okay to miss it.
I made a small video - with a song of prayer - and pictures of very special people. It helps me to be thankful when I watch it and realize how blessed I have been to have lived and loved in that time and place... and I do pray that our lives helped our friends to love Jesus more...
Carolyn,
ReplyDeleteI miss Fiji STILL and we are four years away from having lived there and only lived there for 7 months as a family! But it is where our family started, with babies, and it is a part of all I had dreamed for our life. Mexico will always be a part of your culture and the children's heritage and part of your family identity. . . miss it, love it and know it is a part of you!
Only if we loved deeply and invested ourselves do we have a sense of loss when we are separated. But HOPE gives us the comfort that one day that love and investment will be renewed in Heaven.
ReplyDeleteCareka, this was so sweet. It reminded me of the times you were here in Slovakia and shared your faith with us. The people in Mexico are blessed because of your wonderful family and life with Christ you showed them. Hugs and kisses.
ReplyDelete