I love Christmas for so many reasons. And I love all of the nostalgia that goes with it. I love opening up the boxes of Christmas decorations and seeing all of the little trinkets and ornaments that we have collected in our married lives - and finding a spot for them to display their love and uniqueness and the special moments they remind me of. In these past years, we have also enjoyed pulling out poorly cut out and glued/colored/painted things the kids have made. All so special. And the traditional family pic with Santa - looking back at all of my pregnant bellies and/or little ones on our knees... noticing how quickly the boys change in a year. I think it may be the only time of the year that I have such a consistent line up of photos that demonstrate it so plainly. A snapshot at the same time of the year - of all of us. Faces change and mature but the warm feelings that come with this season never do. They return every time. I love that. I love the consistent warmth and goodness that settles into everyone. And I love the power of the true gift of our Saviour being born. I connect with it. Maybe it is this stage of my life - of being pregnant so many Christmases...or holding a new baby so many times. Or. More likely. It is my thankfulness for His birth. The truth that I sense in my heart that I needed Him to be born and need Him today. How amazing it truly is that He came to dwell among us. What love!
And so I enjoy bringing it all out and involving everyone in the process. And. Of course. I take pictures.
So yes, we decorate with pretty things and place snowmen and Santa Clauses around the house. Benjy lifts one of the boys to place the star just right. The snowglobes twinkle and play their song. We hang the stockings and we count down the days to exchange gifts. We do our best to look outward and to focus on sharing with others and giving.
But included in those decorations are the nativity scenes. We remember and we celebrate the birth of Jesus!
"And they found the babe, wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger."
And that is what makes it a Merry Christmas and a true celebration of love!
No comments:
Post a Comment