Our family of four boys is now complete. We are currently entering a new phase of life... we just returned to the USA after a full and exciting seven years in Mexico City. We are using this year to rest, renew, and re-envision our next steps. I have a funny feeling, though, that there won't be a whole lot of resting in this busy household of boys. Enjoy an insider view of our daily adventures with plenty of pictures of the most handsome men I have ever met!

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Join 'Em

Four boys. Lots of talk about gross things and bathroom humor. I try to stop it. I do. But it is hilariously funny to them and my instruction and good intention for well mannered children does not always succeed.

Tonight, I shocked the pants off of Reece (not literally - ha!)

Maybe it is the fact that Halloween is just around the corner but at bedtime snack (because it would be a crime to send them to bed without eating for the 8th or 9th time in a day!!) I am not sure what got into me....I simply asked them if they would like to learn a new song we sang as kids. "Sure" they all said.

So I sang to them. (do any of you remember this song or was it just my weird family???)
Great big balls of greasey, grimey gopher guts.
Simulated monkey meat.
Teeney, weaney birdie feet.
French fried eyeballs cooked in a pot of blood.
And I forgot my spoon. Yum, yum!!

The look on Reece's face was priceless. He couldn't believe I was singing about all that gross-ness. Fun! Like I said, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em....

4 comments:

  1. Ah, yes, that song! ;-) Glad to know that the "classics" are making a comeback!! My "weird" family sang that too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to sing that at Girl Scout camp! And then I taught it to my siblings, to my parents' "delight". :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a Girl Scout Leader of approx'ly 10 yrs. and Mother of 5, they all know this version:
    Great big gobs of greasey grimey gopher guts
    Saturated snake snot
    Simulated monkey meat
    Great big piles of pretty pink pelican puke
    And I forgot my spoon
    Go get it, YUM YUM!
    Maybe, a second verse would add even more excitement???or maybe my "old ways" are a little over the top.
    It was always a HIT through years and years of camp and hiking with 100's of kids, even though I don't know what their parents thought of it : )
    Of course, coming from a family of 6 brothers and years of Boy Scouts I'm pretty sure that is where I learned it!
    Life is too short not to have "good clean fun" it's all 4 the LOVE of BOYS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think our family sings it a little different, but it always still kind of shocks me that my mom will run off with a rendition of this every once in a great while
    gobs and gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts
    mutilated monkey butts
    little birdies, turdy feet
    french fried eyeballs sitting in a pool of blood
    and i forgot my spoon! i have been equally as classy, teaching my child
    trick or treat, smell my feet, give me something good to eat, if you don't, i don't care, i'll pull down your underwear. . . .i had to remind her "don't repeat that nasty rhyme i taught you" today as we joined a friend for a trunk or treat

    ReplyDelete