Have I mentioned that I love having a library just down the street?? I do.
I find it entertaining to sit back and watch how the boys make their selections. It is most often quite random. But they have picked out some really really great books all the same. I think what makes a children's book extraordinary is when the kids love it AND the adults do too!
Tonight at bedtime, I read the boys a few books - one that was especially appropriate for us right now. It is called "The Stars Will Still Shine" by Cynthia Rylan, Illustrated by Tiphanie Becke. The illustrations were really well done. The words were simple but powerful to me and where I am right now. They go like this:
this new year...
the sky will still be there
the stars will still shine
birds will fly over us
church bells will chime
cows will have calves
kittens will sleep
flowers will bloom
(a promise they keep)
we shall have peaches
we shall have pie
we shall have ice cream
three scoops high!
homes will be cozy
homes will be warm
we'll curl up together
when rain makes a storm
and in this new year
love will be strong
growing and growing
all the days long
there will be goodness
there will be grace
there will be light
in every dark place
the sky will still be there
the stars will still shine
birds will fly over us
church bells will chime.
A simple but strong reminder to me when I question and wonder and worry about this year, its timing, its purpose, and what direction it is taking us - where it will take us - how it will take us there - why, and on and on and on... just to remember that this year is full of life - full of everyday normal happenings and full of normal everyday goodness, and grace and love.
There is another great book that I have in my home - (it didn't come from the library, but I should read it more often!)
Psalms 37:3-8
Trust in the Lord and do good.
dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the Lord;
trust in Him and He will do this:
He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn,
the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.
Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him.
That book sounds lovely! The words were perfect-- I could make up pictures in my head just from reading them, which isn't often the case. That other book sounds pretty good, too.
ReplyDeleteCynthia and David ... both great authors!
ReplyDeletechar
How very, very appropriate for us who have been challenged by this year, to remember that tomorrow the sun will come up, too. Thanks for the posting.
ReplyDeleteMom
a very strong message. . . i also love the random grabbings of my child (and myself) in the children's section at our library, less powerful, is the book we have right now. . . 3 cabritos. . . it's ironic because alani watched scooby doo with her dad a few weeks ago and there was a chupacabra, then I randomly picked up this book at the library and. . . a chupacabra, for 29 years I was without knowledge of the chupacabra, then twice in one month. . . it's her favorite bedtime story at present :0)
ReplyDeleteBe still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him. These 2 things are really hard for me to do! Thanks for reminding me to continue to try.
ReplyDelete