From the earliest years of being a Mom I would comfort my little ones after a scrape on his knee or a scratch with the explanation that God would put a band-aid on it to help it heal and feel better. So they have grown up referring to scabs as God's band-aids.
Yesterday Chase took a dive on the street with his scooter, sliding with his chest and elbows (just minutes, of course, after I told him to be careful and he said he never ever falls). He was tough and didn't cry, however, he did cover his scrapes with neon bandages. These war wounds apparently initiated a discussion at school today between Chase and his good friend Christian.
Chase was telling me about it this afternoon and it made me smile.
Chase: Mom, explain to me what God's band-aid actually is. (as he is sticking more neon band-aids on his chest)
Me: well, it is a covering He places there to cover up the cut or scrape so it can heal from inside. It protects the opening. It is also called a scab.
Chase: well, Christian says its just skin growing over top of it and I told him it is God's band-aid.
Me: well, Christian is right and so are you.
Chase: ya. (pause). Christian is kind of right and I am totally right. (big smile and confident self assured nod)
HA!
No comments:
Post a Comment